Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Atlanta Marathon Recap

I should have started a running blog a year ago, or at least at the start of my marathon training schedule. I didn't do that and I think it was probably because, when I started running, I didn't set out to run long distances or with any particular goal in mind. I started running because I had gotten out of shape after leaving the Army and had gained 20 pounds. I wanted to lose it quickly and I knew that it would take more than a diet plan to do that so I took up running. As I have previously mentioned, I was out of shape so my first month was more walking than running. I gradually ran more and more and before long I realized that, in addition to losing weight, I was enjoying myself. My daily run gave me something to look forward to as well as giving me a sense of accomplishment. Out of curiosity I entered a local 5k, the 2011 Ashcreek 5k in Ashland Virginia, and finished second in my age group! I took this as a sign to keep running. Since then I have ran in the Richmond Xterra 10k trail run, the Patrick Henry Half Marathon, and finally the Atlanta Marathon on October 30, 2011. It was an ambitious goal for someone who had ran their first race (and a 5k at that) less than a year before, but I was determined to run a marathon before the year was out. To say that it was difficult would be an understatement. It's a little late in coming but I wanted to recap my marathon experience if for no one else than at least for myself so that I'd remember this next year if I decide to do the race again (in lieu of flogging myself).

It's worth noting that my birthday is on October 29. So, I guess I can blame that on the fact that I didn't hydrate the day before the race as well as I should and I didn't eat as well as I probably should have either. At least I had the presence of mind to avoid alcohol. I know there are plenty of people out there who can drink the night before the race, eat fast food, and get four hours of sleep and then run a 3 hour marathon. But honestly, everyone hates those people. So for the rest of us lowly humans hydrating and eating properly before a marathon is a good idea. That may have been mistake number 1 for me. I did get plenty of sleep though, about 7 hours, and ate half a peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat an hour and a half before the race. When I arrived at Atlantic Station it was chilly but at least it wasn't freezing. I decided on compression pants, a tank top and a long sleeved Nike shirt as a top layer, and a baseball cap. I had not ran in this particular outfit before. That may have been my second mistake. I did not do any dynamic stretches (unless you count hopping up and down because of the cold) because I didn't want to give people the false impression that I knew what I was doing or planned to run fast. That may have been my third mistake. I was in Corral D with the slow people (but not the slowest people so at least I had that). It wasn't long before the race was on.

I had every intention of pacing myself. I had the 4 hour pace group in front of me and the 4:30 pace group behind me. For about a mile or so I was content to just go with the flow but then my competitive nature got the best of me and I started to pick up the pace. After all, I was feeling great! I started passing a lot of people and could tell that I was gaining on the 4 hour pace group. Before I knew it I had passed them and then caught up with the 3:55 pace group so I passed them too. That may have been my fourth mistake. Actually that was probably my biggest mistake. I was feeling alright for several miles. I started to feel a little fatigued in the legs so I slowed down to the 4 hour pace group's pace for a bit. I'm not sure exactly where it happened but somewhere around the halfway point I realized my legs were cramping up. I had passed the 13.1 mile mark at about 2 hours 1 minute. My first thought was "Great, I'm doing better than expected!", followed by "Oh shit, I'm going to regret this.". Sure enough I struggled from that point on. I had arranged for my husband to meet me at the 16 mile mark. It was the closest spot to the Start/Finish line so he shouldn't have any trouble getting there and by that point if I was warm enough I could hand off some of my extra clothing to him. I was looking forward to seeing him because I had taken the hat off at about mile 6 and hooked it to my equipment belt. Mile 16 became a goal for me where I could see someone I knew, after miles and miles of nothing but strangers, and hopefully receive some encouragement. Well, when I reached mile 16 he was nowhere to be found. Nor did I see him again until after I crossed the finish line. That had an enormous affect on my motivation. More than I expected it to have. After that my pace slowed considerably as I struggled with "the wall" mentally and my cramping legs physically. I had to stop several times to stretch and I had no qualms from that point on with stopping to walk on hills or taking bathroom breaks. I even considered quitting but where would I go? The quickest way to the car was to finish the marathon anyway so I just kept going. I was mad at my husband from mile 16 to about mile 21 where I encountered a fellow sufferer who was on his first marathon, had went out too fast, and was now dealing with leg cramps. Somehow that camaraderie encouraged me and after a brief conversation with him, I set off running again with a better attitude about the whole thing.

After all, no one was forcing me to do this. I was doing it for fun and to succeed at this goal which most people will never reach. I started paying more attention to the motivational signs held by the spectators or posted on the side of the course. I was by no means fast, but the last 5 miles where at least mentally pleasant even though physically my body was rebelling. I had to take it with a grain of salt when the 4:30 pace group passed me. I made it to the finish line in 4 hours and 40 minutes. Not bad considering how often I stopped to stretch, take bathroom breaks, chatted with fellow runners, and took copious walk breaks. It turns out my husband had somehow gotten lost and couldn't find the mile 16 marker. He swears he didn't fall asleep in the car but I still have my doubts. At least he was there at the finish and to drive my weary body home. I now have a nice finisher's medal to show for my efforts but most importantly I have a wealth of knowledge and experience regarding marathon running that I didn't have before.


No comments:

Post a Comment