Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Peachtree Road Race Time!

     Wow, I have seriously been slacking with this blog.  Luckily I have a better commitment to running than I do blogging or I'd have turned into a slob and fused with my couch by now.  I've been keeping up with running regularly even though I'm not logging the seriously heinous amount of mileage I was logging before the Atlanta Marathon last year.  I recently moved as well so now I live in a neighborhood with sidewalks (Hooray!) and I live near the college so I can take advantage of their running track and trails (Double Hooray!).  I didn't realize until now how much more convenient it is to be able to just go for a run from my front door instead of always having to drive to a park or the gym.
     
     I've made a big change in my exercise routine along with my new move.  I now workout almost exclusively in the mornings.  I would never have thought myself capable of this (I rarely wake up earlier than necessary for any reason...unless there's bacon) but after a couple of weeks of short morning workouts I've made it a habit and have even started waking up earlier to get in a longer workout.  It is hella convenient.  I get my workout over and done with before breakfast and I can get on with my day without having to set time aside later to workout.  About the only downside is that I have to make sure I go to sleep at a decent time in order to wake up early enough.  I am not one of those people that can get by with a few hours of sleep.  Deprive me of sleep and/or caffeine and I will de-evolve into a goblin/banshee/succubus creature that will poison even the most optimistic of attitudes.  My husband, on the other hand, can sleep for four hours and go about his day sans coffee like it's no big deal.  I have no desire to be like that.  I think it's good to have limitations.  It keeps me from going overboard and becoming an Ultra-Marathon Woman. (Btw, after reading Ultra-Marathon Man's autobiography I've concluded that he's just insane).  It seems I've finally overcome my aversion to early morning workouts instilled in me by the Army and it only took two and a half years!

     So, what's my current goal? The Peachtree Road Race of course!  It's a week away and I have done no specific training for this race (unless you count spending my days in the sauna we call Georgia).  I'm just running this one for fun since it's such a huge race with zero possibility of me breaking even the top 100...for women....in my age group.  Fun Fact: The Peachtree Road Race is the largest 10k in the world with a cap of 60,000 participants.  I have given my husband the impossible task of trying to photograph me at some point during this race.  It's a sort of punishment really, after he failed to show up along any point of the 26.2 mile course to cheer me on for the Atlanta Marathon in 2011.  I also expect him to capture photos of fast Kenyans who will doubtless finish the race before I've reached the 3 mile mark.  So, I plan on celebrating the 4th of July by running in an overcrowded 10k, eating a hamburger, and watching a fireworks show....in that order.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment